Driving Licences

Another possibility is to exchange your EU/EEA driving licence for a Spanish one. The procedure is voluntary, however, for UK nationals resident in Spain, we would strongly recommend you exchange your UK driving licence for a Spanish one prior to the end of the transition period (31st December 2020). After the transition period, UK nationals will be considered non-EU citizens so international agreements will apply.

Unless expressly agreed in any withdrawal agreement, UK citizens will not be able to drive in Spain with UK driving licences. They will have to apply for an international driving licence. For this reason, if you are resident in Spain we strongly advise you to exchange or renew your UK driving licence for a Spanish driving licence prior to the end of the transition period. This will allow you to drive throughout Spain and the EU.

In both cases (renewal or exchange of driving licence), specific documentation is required, and we will be happy to assist you with this process.

To exchange your home driving licence to a Spanish driving licence you must:

  • Have residence in Spain
  • Have the age established in the Spanish rules

At GetSpanishResidency.com we help clients to exchange their driving licence for a Spanish licence. We help clients complete the relevant paperwork and organize the appointment with the relevant officials.

We can apply for your Spanish driving licence on your behalf and will need the following:

  • A recent photograph of you (size 32 x 26 mm)
  • Payment of 211 euros (this covers your application fees with the authorities and our time to submit your application)
  • A certified notarised colour copy of your passport and the document which proves your residency (European Union Registration Certificate)
  • Your original driver’s licence as this will need to be presented (or we can accept a notarised colour copy of your driver’s licence)
  • Some areas of Spain require proof of Spanish residency

When we have received your payment we will complete the relevant application and post this to you for your signature, or arrange to meet you at our offices in Marbella. Unfortunately, an electronic signature will not suffice as you will need to sign the paperwork directly. At this stage we will ask for your current driving licence from your home country. This will be swapped for a Spanish driving licence.

If you wish GetSpanishResidency.com to apply for your driving licence on your behalf please click here and make the payment of 211 euros.